this actually brings up a good point, it is illegal to send devices with
very current encryption to foreign nations, I know you would not think
there is anything on a balloon that is privileged but there are many things
installed on operating systems in the US that are not for export.  I would
think some care should be used to make sure that a balloon once captured by
the Chinese or other nation,  would not contain any proprietary software or
encryption algorithms.
just thinking out loud from a computer security point of view.
marc
KI5ZHO