War is hell.

________________________________
From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> on behalf of Walter Holmes via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2023 9:54:44 AM
To: 'BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB' <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: walt...@k5wh.net <walt...@k5wh.net>; 'M Reiter' <beachcat...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BVARC] K5WH-117, BLT-117

I love the responses.. 😊    they are all great.

Truth be known, just about every component on the trackers we fly today,
already come from China. We’re just sending them back to them. 😊

As far as the software/firmware, it’s Open Source, and published on multiple
publicly accessible github sites.

So that immediately gets around any potential ITAR restrictions that might come
into play.

Several other trackers are built in Turkey and other places overseas that also
have been cleared for sending to other countries.

So we’re all good.

Now, that’s not to say that someone couldn’t do something very different and
risk multiple violations of course, but I think we’re still several years away
from the IC’s we use in or devices being manufactured in the US, if they ever
do at all. And if they do, they will STILL be made over there as well, so
there’s nothing secret about these.

As far as the Mac machines, if anyone can make me a Mac that can come in
weighing less than 12 grams, I’ll take a thousand of those right now. 😊

Walter/K5WH