Thank you Gus!

Mike KK5SC

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
________________________________
From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> on behalf of Gus Bernard via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2023 5:30:44 PM
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Gus Bernard <gneln...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BVARC] High power EFHW Antenna/ MFJ-1982HP

See product design specs, as well as articles, at Balun Designs.Com. use the
core mix type for the bands you'll operate on.  For high power, double-up on
size 240 cores.  Youtube "TRX Bench" channel has a great 4-part video series on
building baluns.

My experience tells me that if I want a long lasting, reliable balun (good
quality components and workmanship that withstand the elements), it's more cost
effective to buy off the shelf from Balun Designs or equivalent. (The amount I
saved wasn't worth the trouble.)  Of course, making my own is fun and
educational; but I now buy my baluns from Bob.

Gus K5GMB

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023, 10:39 AM mike.williams
shopjubilee.com<http://shopjubilee.com> via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org<mailto:bvarc@bvarc.org>> wrote:

Time to pick your brains…

I am interested in EFHW antennas for primary use on 20/40/80m – but want to be
able to run my Worthmore 600w amplifier.

I found a MFJ model - MFJ-1982HP is rated for 800pep

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1982hp

This antenna is available in three power ratings:

MFJ-1982LP – 30w

MFJ-1982MP – 300w

MFJ-1982HP – 800w

Anyone have experience with this antenna?

A couple of questions –

  1.  If you have experience with high power (>= 600w) transformers for EFHW
antennas, what design did you use
     *   Core type and number of cores
        *    type 53 has a higher curie temp as opposed to type 43....
     *   Wire AWG?
     *   I see a number of YouTube videos recommending 56:1 as 49:1
        *   Comments?

  1.  What is your recommended wire for the radiation element?
     *   Material –

                                                    i.     Copper over steel?

                                                   ii.     Hard-drawn copper?

                                                  iii.     Other