It would seem to me the fast rise time of the lightning pulse makes it
similar to any RF good practice concerns....the safety ground path should
have low inductive reactance, not just low resistance.   It also seems to
me that skin effect resistance of braided strap may be lower than the skin
effect resistance of  stranded large gauge wire because of the increased
copper surface area of braid (keeping other things the same).  But all the
weaving of the tiny braided little strands may present an increase of the
inductive effect, unless the strands are not tarnished and act like a solid
band -- so that may be why, these days, you see a preference for copper
straps that are not braided.  So I am not necessarily pushing a conclusion
on what is best, but rather "thinking out loud" on why some choices may be
better than others.

ROD / W5IE

Rod Neumann (832)444-0192
ALLogic Inc. / AdorStore