On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 09:52:58AM -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> On 07/30/2007 04:58 PM, Robert Citek wrote:
> > One of the students got DSL via ATT.  So, I'm trying it out myself.
> > I'll post what I discover.
>
> My notes so far:
>
> <notes>
> 2Wire router setup
> - connect power to router
> - if necessary, reset to clear settings (see below)
> - connect ethernet cable to router
> - connect ethernet to computer
> - enable DCHP on computer (need more details here)
> - connect phone cord to router
> - plug phone cord into data side of phone filter
> - plug filter into phone jack in wall
>
> Router configuration
> - open browser to 192.168.1.254
> - enter a system password
> - click next (see below if error page appears)
> - run setup wizard: 192.168.1.254/setup
> - enter key (provided by ISP?)
> - enter time zone
> - enter ppp authentication info (provided by ISP?)
> - connection
>
> If an error page appears, then there seems to be a bug in the router
> software.  Click on the address bar (File > Open Location) and press enter.
>
> To reset the router to factory defaults, press and hold the small reset
> button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds.
> </notes>
>
> Can we test this setup using the DSL connection at BWorks?  I realize
> we'll loose network connectivity for the rest of the shop during the
> test, but at least I can know the setup works before the computer and
> router go out the door.

I'm back!  My DSL was rather simple to set up after all:

1.  Wait for modem to arrive via UPS (took 1 day).
2.  After service was initiated, according to the modem instructions,
log on to http://192.168.1.1/.
3.  Click on new profile and add username and password provided to me by
ISP (CenturyTel).
4.  Click connect and got connected.

My network looks like this:

                        DSL Modem (192.168.1.1)

                      DI-524 Router (192.168.0.1)

                desktop(102)  laptop(101)   printer(100)

--
Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:49:37 -0500