Hi Justin,

Justin Dearing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Personally I don't mind making changes that will last a couple of months.
> Secondly, I think that even if the cygwin and mingw directions were
> shortened to "see unix directions" in version 3.0, making that explicitly
> clear, and organizing the documentation as per my suggestions would make
> everything clear for parties not completely familiar with build systems.

Ok, let's do this. You will need to check out the xerces-2 branch. This
is a development branch for the 2-series code base:

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/c/branches/xerces-2

The documentation is in the xerces-2/doc/ directory in .xml files.
To generate actual .html files from these you will need to use the
generatedocs{.sh,.bat} script in xerces-2/. Note that it needs
java runtime. The resulting html is placed in xerces-2/doc/html/.

I suggest that you add a section to build-winunix.xml for Mingw. You
will also need to add a link in build.xml.

Some thought on what would be good to have covered:

- Building using both cygwin (-mno-cygwin) and msys toolchains.

- Note about compiling application code with -DXML_LIBRARY when linking
  to the static Xerces-C++ library.

- Note about this bug:
  http://marc.info/?l=xerces-c-users&m=118891009725180&w=2

Once you are done, create a Jira issue and attach the patch to it. Make
sure to grant the rights to ASF when uploading the patch (this way we
will have a patch sign-off trail). After that I will review & commit
it and regenerate the web site.

> I would like to look over the 3.0 documentation before release and
> see if there is anything unclear about it.

Thanks, that would be great. We still haven't decided what to do with
the docs for 3.0.0 and I am sure there will be a discussion on this
matter here some time soon, so feel free to join in.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC