I like star promenades and frequently call contras and squares that include
that figure.

I watching these for some time I frequently see something a little different.

Often the dance leaves the ladies (assuming the gents are the ones doing the
allemands) in a spot a little distance from where they need to be for the gents
to connect with them. This leads to reaching or mild scrambling to make that
connection.  I have not noticed ladies starting across the set - but would
rather see them step toward the gent as he approaches.

This is not unlike another pet peeve of mine - where the corners in contra
corners just stand there with their left hand in the air (sometime even
instructed to do so by the caller). This forces the active couple to almost
chase them around.

Dancers who become momentarily inactive need to be aware of their upcoming role
and put themselves back into the action in the proper place and space rather
than making the dance come to them - and when they do it is more enjoyable for
everyone.

Mac