Very interesting insights - thanks.

At our dance last Saturday, we had 30 visiting contra dancers from the US.
One of the visiting callers Bob O'Brien taught a dance with (partner) star promenade and
butterfly whirl. I have never used a dance with these moves at our dances (which
started in 2008), but people picked it up with Bob's help and the help of those visitors
partnering us locals.

The dance had a real mixture of people from 13-80 and ranging from the highly experienced visitors, to a few people who had never been before. Not many are able to use all the subtleties that make up an ideal star prom/butter whirl, most got into the butterfly whirl which lead nicely
into the hey and everyone had a good time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZaMcKRJuh0

A footnote: in MWSD reverse flutter wheel has a similar action to the star prom part, but there the outsides are expected to "help." So ex square dancers may have to extinguish bad habits.

Cheers, Bill