So many ways this conversation could go:
- allowing the folk process to evolve (or not)
- our collective caller's responsibility (or not) to broaden (or not) the
knowledge of dancers
- teaching moves in beginners workshops that we may (or may not) use in the
evening
- the value (or not) of tossing in the occasional chestnut or otherwise
non-duple improper formation
- etc.

So as not to deviate too far from direction of this thread, I'll stay on
topic.

I called a dance recently where I called a very simple proper dance "Cheat
the Lady." One of the moves in the dance is a R & L thru across and back. I
had already called a R & L thru in an improper dance earlier in the evening
and it went just fine. I was quite surprised, therefore, when the dance
pretty much broke down and needed some pretty extensive teaching to get
folks to understand how to do the move in proper formation.

Such a simple move was rendered difficult to many long-time dancers in that
community simply by changing the formation to Proper. Some people never
really did get it. They remained flustered as to how to handle the same
gender courtesy turn.

It is well understood that if one doesn't exercise one's muscles, they will
atrophy. It seems that some contra communities are not exercising their
contra brains and bodies in that they are limiting the formations and moves
they do on a regular basis. Another example is that in another community, I
was chastised for having the audacity to have the men start a left shoulder
hey. "We just don't do that here," said the dance organizer to me after the
dance.

It is partly for this reason (and partly because I enjoy variety) that I
frequently call a proper dance or some other formation in an evening. I try
to keep it simple and accessible. I've received many compliments by more
experienced dancers that they enjoyed doing something different.

Mark Hillegonds

cell:  734-756-8441
email:  mhillego...@comcast.net
blog:  www.defriction.com