Jeff Kaufman wrote:
> Chrissy Fowler wrote:
> >
> > I am curious about the phenomenon that Jeff refers to in this
> > sentence.  I've never danced at, or called, or even heard about a
> > dance where the caller could "just wait for people to get into
> > position."
>
> Sorry, you're right.  I wasn't rememebring well.  I should have said
> "wait for people, and then when they're mostly ready say 'hands four'
> a few times".  The point is that usually the dancers don't need to be
> instructed in how to get into position, just prompted to actually do
> it.

I called at MIT in Cambridge Tuesday night and I thought I would
follow up.

The dancers mostly lined up improper and in hands four without my
prompting.  On the second dance I saw a couple standing reversed [1]
and said "ones cross over", and that couple switched.  A couple times
I could start the walkthrough simply with "with your neighbor balance
and swing" but most of the time I needed to say "hands four",
primarily to get them to stop talking and pay attention.

Jeff

 [1] This is complicated.  I could tell they they didn't intend to be
     swapped because I knew them.  But if you make a point of getting
     any couple standing gender-swapped to switch you'll annoy dancers
     who are dancing that way on purpose.  (And I think more people
     should dance both roles, so I don't want to annoy or embarass
     people doing it.)  It helps not to single anyone out and instead
     just say something generic like "ones cross over".