On 1/14/2013 4:22 PM, Yoyo Zhou wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Don Veino <sharedweight_...@veino.com> wrote:
I'm wondering whether someone has developed a simple accurate mnemonic for

  Thinking about this, I think it's easier to watch what's going on.
You can usually identify a point in the dance - say, the start of B2,
which is also conveniently when you want to signal the band - when you
prefer that everyone at the top is active (this is the goal, right?).
If a couple is out, give an odd number. If they're in, give an even
number.

In general you should talk to the band and see what they prefer in the way of a signal for when to finish.

The most common method in my experience, when calling a single progression, 32 bar dance with a tune played AABB, is to wait until a couple is out at the top of the set and then signal the band during the B-part, B1 or B2, that there will be one more time through the dance. This generally means that they should play to the end of this time through the AABB and then repeat the whole thing one more time. If the progression does happen at an odd time in the dance, or it's double or triple progression, you may need to adjust this, or it may happen that a couple will pop out just before the music ends, but for 99% of the contra dances out there this will work fine.

If the band wants to be notified prior to 2 more times through, then give the signal when there isn't a couple out, and as mentioned about 3 more times means to give the signal when there is someone out.

Jonathan