Thank you for the historic perspective Colin!

I don't call that dance that often myself, it's rather a niche piece :-)

It's an odd-ball enough dance that I use the long-lines version as a point
of connection to the whole set. I certainly wouldn't object to a caller
using an arm-around variant as couples; but I think taking away the ability
for the lines to connect for the diagonal motion would add to the