On 2019-04-27 4:19 a.m., Colin Hume via Callers wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 14:44:32 -0700, Lenore Frigo via Callers wrote:
I would like to teach some of my more advanced dancers some flourishes
or other embellishments to contra dance. I'd like to start with things
that are easy and obviously that can be smoothly integrated into a dance.

How about first teaching them how to fit the dance to the music, giving
weight in allemandes and circles, and doing a good buzz-step swing?
Or would that not be considered politically correct?
Lenore did say that these are "more advanced dancers", so it seems reasonable to assume that they already know these things. Why would you assume they don't?

I can sympathize with valuing fundamentals over flourishes, and I'm not saying you should keep that opinion to yourself, just that I think you could find a less sarcastic way to express it.

-Michael