This is tangential to this discussion, but it's caused me to think about how
"flourishes" become standard parts of contra over the decades. I'm not a dance
historian, so maybe others will chime with corrections or additions.

Thinking first about some old traditional contras ("chestnuts"), Chorus Jig had
no swing in it till about 1950, I think, when some folks started adding a
balance and swing for the ones at the end. That was such a triumphant
conclusion for the ones' story-line that it became part of the dance. In
Petronella, the distinctive figure (spin right one place and balance) was done
only by the ones, until two dancers decided to join in when they were twos, and
that became standard also. [In the old days the Petronella figure was usually
spin first then balance, so the dancers' feet could mark the end of the phrase.
Incorporated into other contras that move has usually been balance first and
then spin, and I think some dancers, missing a way to mark the end of the
phrase with their feet, added the clap-clap, another flourish that is just
standard for many dancers now.]

Thinking just about figures or moves, I know in the past ten years or so, when
I've asked an experienced dancer to help me demonstrate a dosido for complete
beginners they've almost always twirled during it--that flouish has just become
standard for them. For many dancers the flourish of a twirl is now their
standard second half of a ladies chain. They seldom do a courtesy turn. And I
imagine the courtesy turn (now the "old-fashioned way") was itself once a
flourish, and that the second half of a  ladies chain was originally a
left-hand turn.

Just some thoughts!

Richard Fischer