*IFEX - Profile: Land rights activist Yorm Bopha, Cambodia*

*https://www.ifex.org/cambodia/2015/12/07/yorm_bopha_profile/index.php*
<https://www.ifex.org/cambodia/2015/12/07/yorm_bopha_profile/index.php>
*IFEX <http://www.ifex.org/> *7 December 2015
Yorm Bopha remains undaunted in her efforts to stop the Boeung Kak Lake
evictions and help residents claim their land rights, despite a spell in
prison and constant threats.
[image: Boeung Kak Lake resident Yorm Bopha (L) gestures to her supporters
as she attends a hearing in the Supreme Court in Phnom Penh, 27 March
2013]Boeung
Kak Lake resident Yorm Bopha (L) gestures to her supporters as she attends
a hearing in the Supreme Court in Phnom Penh, 27 March 2013 *REUTERS/Samrang
Pring*

The draining of a formerly picturesque lake in Cambodia and the forcible
displacement of thousands of residents living on the water's edge has led
to the creation of a vigorous land rights movement that is led largely by
women. Prominent among them is Yorm Bopha, who has described herself
as a "simple
housewife"
<http://womennewsnetwork.net/2013/08/23/cambodia-forced-evictions-phnom-penh/>
turned
campaigner, and who remains undaunted in her passion to stop the evictions
and for residents to claim their rights to their land despite a spell in
prison and constant threats.

In an interview for IFEX's 8 March 2014 Women's Day action, Yorm Bopha said
<http://www.ifex.org/international/2014/03/07/international_womensday/>:

> ... I want to push Cambodian women to speak the truth. Because if we don't
> speak, no one will know about our problems and no one can help us. Being a
> vocal person I face a lot of risks, such as being murdered, or jailed, and
> other risks too -- but these do not discourage me.

Boeung Kak Lake <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeung_Kak> was a large
urban wetland in the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh. Its waterside cafes and
restaurants attracted tourists, providing a living for local residents. In
2007 came the announcement that the lake had been sold
<http://www.economist.com/node/13022123> for U.S. $80m to a Chinese company
that would drain the lake, filling it with sand, with plans to build an
elite residential area. By 2010 90% of the lake had been filled, and over
3,000 residents evicted, forced to resettle to the city outskirts. The
environmental impact includes flooding risks and the disappearance of fish
and agricultural land on the lake's banks that had also been an important
source of income for the local community.

With no rights to the land, those who lived by the lake struggled
<http://www.bbc.com/news/business-14488100> to hold onto their homes and
were compelled to accept inadequate compensation payments. Inevitably this
led to protests and, in May 2012, 13 women- ranging from 25 to 72 years in
age - were each sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison for their involvement
after a trial that lasted just three hours. Explaining why the Boeung Kak
protests are dominated by women, Yorm Bopha told the Women's News Network
<http://womennewsnetwork.net/2013/08/23/cambodia-forced-evictions-phnom-penh/>
in
2013: *First, men lose their head too quickly and as a result can instigate
violence, and we didn't want violence during our protests. Second, many men
in our community work for the police or the army. So if they participated
in the protests, they would have most likely lost their jobs. *

Outraged at what became known as the Boeung Kak 13 arrests, Yorm Bopha and
her husband, Lours Sakhorn, became central
<http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2013/11/fighting-land-grabs-cambodia> to
the campaign to release the women. They were threatened by police, who
warned that they were on a blacklist
<https://www.ifex.org/cambodia/2013/11/04/bopha_idei/> and should expect
the worst.

The Boeung Kak 13 were released a month later following an intense campaign
inside and outside Cambodia. Then came Yorm Bopha's turn. She was arrested
in September 2012 and in December, she was accused of "intentional violence
with aggravating circumstances" against two taxi drivers who had challenged
protesters at a demonstration. She was sentenced to three years in prison
after a contentious trial. Amnesty International
<http://www.amnesty.ca/our-work/good-news/yorm-bopha-set-free-in-cambodia>referred
to there being 'no evidence against [Yorm] and inconsistent witness
testimonies', citing her as a prisoner of conscience. Her supporters
pointed out that her visibility during the protests
<https://www.ifex.org/cambodia/2013/06/17/yorm_bopha_factsheet/> and her
outspokenness in the media made her a target. Again campaigners swung into
action, staging protests for her release, and, as had happened at other
demonstrations, they were met with violence. Lours Sakhorn was among six
people seriously injured outside the Prime Minister's residency in March
2013. He lost several teeth and suffered leg injuries. In November 2013,
Yorm Bopha was released on bail
<http://www.englishpen.org/campaigns/cambodia-yorm-bophas-message-of-thanks-following-her-release-on-bail/>
.

Yorm Bopha's experience did nothing to dampen her zeal and she threw
herself back into campaigning. In January 2014, she was among five
women briefly
arrested <https://www.ifex.org/cambodia/2014/01/06/bopha_arrested/> when
they demonstrated for the release of another land rights activist in the
face of a blanket ban against all protests.

In a video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Xncv9QNpw> posted on-line by
the International Federation for Human Rights in December 2014, shot at the
Boeung Kak site, Yorm Bopha tells of the land rights activists' continuing
struggle in the face of threats and surveillance. She calls on governments
and international donors to demand that Cambodia respect human rights, and
for redress for those who had lost their land.

*[Last updated: 2 November 2015]*

*POSTED IN:*Cambodia <https://www.ifex.org/cambodia/>  Free Expression &
the Law <https://www.ifex.org/free_expression_and_the_law/>  Freedom of
Assembly <https://www.ifex.org/freedom_of_assembly/>

--

Best Regards,

*Khmer Forum*
*A place for sharing community events and public news.*

---
"Cambodia Discussion (CAMDISC) - www.cambodia.org" group.
to camdisc+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.