On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, James Headley wrote:

> I have a friend locally who does a lot of powder coating for
> me. He is in the aircraft industry. Let me know if I can help you get
> anything power coated. It is a great way to go and he is one of the
> best and least expensive around!

Yes, the last lens boards I made I had powder coated.  These turned out
very nice!

> Also you could plate the items but this is much more expensive, especially
> if you are trying to color it.

Brass plates pretty well.  I don't believe that aluminum is a particularly
good candidate for plating though.  I did try copper plating some aluminum
heat sink blocks for a radiometer system I was building once.  It works,
kind of, but the copper didn't stick terribly well.  I think the
propensity of the aluminum to surface oxidize tended to undercut the
plating.  There may be a way, but I didn't find it.  Using a nickel
passivation layer first maybe?  I also can't think of any aluminum plated
parts that I've seen either.

- Wayde
  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])