On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Robert Stoddard wrote:

>   Here's another idea:  I have been intrigued by the possibilities of using
> what are called compact fluorescent bulbs to form a light head.  These lamps
> are designed to replace an ordinary screw-base household bulb and provide
> fluorescent advantages (low power consumption and heating with high light
> output and long life) in ordinary household lamps.  I see no reason why they
> couldn't be used to make a good diffused cold-light enlarger light head,
> unless the spectral output of the bulbs is a problem.  RKS

Well I guess I need to throw my ideas into the pile.  I've thought it
would be nice to use a fiber optic illumination plate
<http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1443> as the
enlarger light source.  That way you can move the lamp and filter assembly
out of the enlarger head
<http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/Browse.cfm?catid=243&FromCatID=34>.

That should minimize the enlarger head's weight and vibration.  It also
means that you could put a great deal of control into the desk mounted
illumination source.  For instance, with precision control of the source
intensity would mean that you could eliminate the need to have aperature
control on your enlarging lens.

I think the Salt-Hill enlargers were actually designed this way, but don't
know that for certain.

Another possibility would be to make use of something like a high
resolution LCD plate that could be used in place of the negative
holder.  You'd then be able to use this thing for making digital
enlargements.  Of course the problem here would be the pixel pattern that
would probably occur due to the enlargement of the imaging
plate.  Probably the best direction from here would be to resort to a
scanning laser system ...

Just some random thoughts.

- Wayde
  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])