3M used to make a material called 'Butter Cut', a self-adhesive masking
material intended as a sandblasting restist for stone, but it worked great
on glass. It came in wide rolls, cut easily with an X-acto knive and
withstood silica or aluminum oxide at 70 lbs. of presure with no problem.
Your local tomb-stone supplier probably uses it unless they've gone over to
some computerized device.

Joel