Are you sure you want to make an iris diaphragm?  The thin metal leaves are
easy or hard, depending on your method.  I would etch them out of metal
foil.  However, there are pins at the end of the leaves and at one end the
pins run in tiny slits.  You will have fun making all those slits, though
they can be made by filing and drilling.  Wouldn't it be better to find a
scrap shutter or lens with a diaphrgm and "borrow" it?

Bob