Dear Joel,

I did once find such a diaphragm and you will never guess what it was
doing.  It was an aperture for a fan.  Please do not ask why it was done
this way.  I doubt that it is a full 2 feet in diameter, but more than 1
foot is possible.  In any case, on such a large scale I agree making it is
less frightening.  I would not like filing all those little slots, but some
big ones sounds far easier.

I might be able to photograph a diaphragm when you do not turn up a model,
but there must be drawings in books (Focal Encyclopedia?).

Bob