Hi,

> What would be really nice is to make a JIT for a language that really
> need one, like PHP! There are lots of companies out there (Yahoo,
> Facebook, wikimedia) that spend hundreds of millions of dollars on
> machines that run PHP bytecode interpreters implemented by people who
> are not Xavier Leroy.

Actually, Facebook has a compiler that transforms PHP source code into C++ [1],
and they claim a 50% reduction in CPU usage.  It's an interesting approach,
though I suspect that even as we speak a new circle of hell is being warmed
up especially for those who are enabling PHP's continued existence thanks
to gimmicks such as this one...

Cheers,
Dario Teixeira

[1] https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wiki/