On Nov 20, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Jon Harrop wrote:

>> Do we have example of big companies porting their whole codebase to
>> another language ?
>
> Yes, of course. Companies modernise all the time. We have a client who just
> started porting 1MLOC of C++ to F#.

How they do that ? Are they using compiler frontends to assist them
in automatically translating part of the code to F# ?

> Flying Frog have ported hundreds of
> thousands of lines of OCaml to F#.

OCaml and F# are very similar language, so such porting does not look that hard.
Translating from C++ to F#,  or from PHP to Java seems more complicated.
I wonder what kind of techniques people have developed to help such
language-to-language
translation.