Sylvain Le Gall:
> I doubt an old code, not written with multicore in mind is easily
> portable to multicore. So basically, the migration you are talking
> about
> is starting a new project that will replace one software/library by
> another.

Yes, the systems are kept loosely coupled during the transition so it is
more like a new project to supercede the old one than a gradual transition
between code bases. However, only the developers need be aware of this
distinction. From the point of view of everyone else in the company, the
implementation of a product is being modernized. Management get improved
productivity/maintainability. Sales get shiny new things. HR get to fire any
developers who resist (but most are assimilated ;-).

The avalanche happens when the cost of rewriting falls below the cost of
adding essential features to a legacy code base.

Cheers,
Jon.