Graham,

On Oct 26, 2006, at 6:35 PM, Graham Wideman wrote:

Donna:

> All the PALS_B12 surfaces are mid-cortical thickness surfaces.

Hmmm, this will send us on a closer inspection of the surfaces in conjunction with volumes.

I think we've been somewhat disoriented at looking at an average surface (ie: surfaces averaged across subjects) and how it does or doesn't manage to intersect blobs of activation, and indeed the degree to which it does or doesn't follow actual anatomy. Ie: during these initial experiences with Caret, the B12 average surface gives the impression of being "small". Perhaps this is just what you get when surfaces are averaged, and the detailed anatomy individual differences gets averaged out...

That's indeed what happens. The PALS-B12 average fiducial surface area is 530 cm-sq only about 55% of the vs 962 cm-sq for the average surface area for the 12 contributing individuals. This is to be expected as a consequence of individual variability.

The average fiducial surface is particularly compressed in regions of high variability. The overall distortion/compression pattern is quantified in a metric file that comes with the atlas dataset. This allows surface areas computed for one or another region of interest on the average fiducial surface to be multiplied by an appropriate factor, so that the adjusted area represents the value for a 'typical' individual fiducial surface.

so an interesting lesson on how anatomy varies.

Anyhow, this discussion has been very helpful.

Good! The issue of whether the average fiducial surface intersects various blobs of activation is an important one. Our empirical observation is that generally it does, but there are assuredly some important exceptions. This is precisly why we went to the trouble of implementing multi-fiducial mapping. It allows you see the outcome of mapping to a dozen individuals, then taking the average.

All this is detailed in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi? db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16172003 Van Essen DC. A Population-Average, Landmark- and Surface-based (PALS) atlas of human cerebral cortex.
Neuroimage. 2005 Nov 15;28(3):635-62

David

Graham