Come to think of it, I would benefit from that utility, too.;-) Even better would be an accurate, automated border drawing utility. Kidding aside, we recognize this is a highly desirable enhancement, but pretty tough to deliver right now.

John Harwell has added some caret_command features that can trim some of the easy ones (e.g., calcarine posterior, central dorsal/medial):

  SURFACE BORDER EXTREMA
     caret_command -surface-border-extrema \
<input-topo-file> <input-coord-file> <input-border-file> <border-name>

     List the extrema for the surface, the extrema for the border, and the
     difference between the extrema.
SURFACE BORDER NIBBLER (remove border points within a distance to surface ext
rema)
     caret_command -surface-border-nibbler \
<input-topo-file> <input-coord-file> <input-border-file> <border-name>
        <output-border-file> <surface-extrema-name-or-node-indicator>
         <surface-extrema-offset-or-node-number> <pos-neg>

     Remove points from the named border that are within that are on a .
     specified side of a surface extrema or node number.

But your idea is kind of interesting.

Meanwhile, if you choose reference points which differ primarily along the axis of interest, then the distance is a good proxy for the component difference, so no math required. In either case, you'll be surprised how fast you get good at guessing. Before long, you'll need only a few tries, and it's always fun when your first guess is right. ;-)