Hi John,
I have tried unlimiting the coredumpsize from a tcsh shell (as I was indeed using a bash shell and the coredumpsize was limited to 0 kbytes) but, for some reasons, even if caret crashes no core file gets written out. All the display functions that I have tried out (rendering surfaces, overlaying metric maps and so on) seem to work fine. But I couldn't tell whether the problem is really limited to opening volumes, as I haven't tried out many other things.
I will try to upgrade the graphic card drivers!
Thanks!
Marco

John Harwell wrote:
Marco,

The creation of a core file may be inhibited. So, make sure you are running one of the c-shell variances (enter the command "/bin/csh" or "/bin/tcsh". Enter the command "limit". If "coredumpsize" is anything but unlimited, do the following:

* Enter the command "unlimit coredumpsize".
* Enter "limit" to verify that "coredumpsize" is unlimited.
* Run caret by typing "./caret5" but do not use gdb.
* Import the volume to get Caret to crash.
* Relogin.
* Enter the command "gdb ./caret5 core".
* Type "where" at the gdb prompt and send me the output.

Are your able to load a surface into Caret5?

Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?

John