Hi Jackie,

Apologies for the long reply that follows, but what you're trying to do is non-trivial.

I couldn't get your link to work, but I think you mean this Desai paper:

Desai R, Liebenthal E, Possing ET, Waldron E, Binder JR (2005). Volumetric vs. surface-based intersubject alignment for localization of auditory cortex activation. NeuroImage 26(4), 1019-1029.
http://www.neuro.mcw.edu/~rhdesai/papers/neuroimage05_desai_flatmap.html

I learned a lot from this paper, and I hold Rutvik in the highest esteem. But I have some reservations about this approach, which is outdated in some respects. Consider this excerpt from Rutvik's methods:

Working with a patch as opposed to the entire hemisphere has two main advantages. First, since the patch has a limited amount of curvature, it can be flattened without requiring major cuts to overcome intrinsic curvature. This preserves the topology of the region. This does not 10 hold true for an entire hemisphere, which requires cuts to flatten without major distortions. The placement of cuts changes the topology of the surface, since adjacent points on the 3D surface are not necessarily adjacent on the flat map. A second advantage is that the computational time required to flatten and warp the patch is significantly less than the time required for performing the same operations on an entire hemisphere.

For displaying group data, we chose the template anatomy provided by Holmes et al. (1998), which represents an average of 27 scans of the same individual. This “N27” or “Colin” anatomy was processed in an identical manner by preparing a surface model and cutting and flattening the perisylvian patch.

1) The patch approach requires defining boundaries. This isn't hard to do on any single subject, but defining clear, rater-free guidelines across individuals is quite challenging. And the concern about cuts is misplaced with spherical registration; while one might flatten as a means to generating an easy landmark border drawing substrate, these flattening cuts do NOT affect registration, except where they coincide with your user-defined landmarks. For example, our core 6 landmarks include the medial wall and calcarine sulcus, which also happen to be flattening cuts. But other flattening cuts (e.g., frontal, cingulate, temporal, and sylvian) do not affect registration in any way. Spherical registration operates on the CLOSED topology, which is cut-free. Also, now that Caret's 3D border drawing is much faster and easier than it used to be, one doesn't even really need to flatten. This document drafts a procedure for registering Freesurfer-generated surfaces without flattening:

http://pub:[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/pub/donna/NIH/JULIA/TUTORIAL/FreeSurfer_to_CARET.doc

2) Computational constraints in 2007 are not what they were in 2003-2004, when Rutvik probably did most of his work. Most people these days choose computationally expensive methods that require less user input.

3) Rutvik chose colin because he didn't have a better alternative back then. Dr. Van Essen's PALS paper was published after Rutvik's. You have already decided to use PALS_B12 as a target.

You still might have a compelling reason for sticking with this approach, but be aware that flat-based registration just isn't much anymore -- at least not in this lab.

It's still possible to register subregions on the sphere to the PALS_B12 atlas, but this can be done by drawing landmarks on the PALS_B12 inflated or very inflated surfaces, using the average fiducial surface and your individual to carefully delineate the subregion boundaries in a principled way.

I can't imagine a scenario where it would make sense to generate flattened patches of each PALS_B12 subject; one could use the colin flat map deformed to PALS_B12 that comes with many of the visualization specs in sumsdb, but again -- I would draw in 3D, on the PALS_B12 very inflated surface, using PALS_B12 average fiducial surface in a Window 2 to help sync the source and target region boundaries. Drawing on each PALS_B12 subject's surface is not necessary.

Another thing that isn't quite clear to me is the relationship between the individual and group results. If you want to compare them in volume-land, then yes -- both need to be in a common stereotaxic space. What you do then is within your analysis domain. But when mapping it onto the PALS_B12 atlas, put some thought into which mapping algorithm makes the most sense:

* most wustl.edu users prefer enclosing voxel for most applications, but activation that doesn't intersect the surface precisely is missed; it's unusual for clusters to miss it altogether, but the peak may be missed * max voxel or MCW Brainfish might be appropriate if you're trying to give the volumetric method the benefit of the doubt, to make sure peaks make it

But keep in mind that usually mapping group results to PALS_B12 is for visualization -- not direct comparison. It can be used properly for comparisons, but caution/thought is needed.

Donna