Colin,

Segmentation produces a 'native mesh' whose exact node number cannot be
prespecified in Caret (or in other segmentation algorithms I know about).

The 73,730-node mesh ('74k' in our latest lingo) arises from surface-based
registration to an atlas - either the macaque F99 atlas (a 74k_f99 mesh) or the
human PALS-B12 atlas (a 74k_pals mesh) - using the appropriate tutorial.

David VE