>From what I remember of the issue, some JREs were holding onto memory that
should have been deallocated, which eventually fills the memory pool and
crashes, while the good JREs kept their memory usage fairly constant.  The
issue was solved in Sun's java before the default java debian/ubuntu
install, but I think it got solved in that one also in more recent
versions.  If all else fails, you could try updating to the latest
available JRE.

Note that you may have multiple versions of java installed, and may need to
configure which one is used by default, for instance
http://java.dzone.com/articles/choosing-java-version-ubuntu .

Tim