From: caret-users-boun...@brainvis.wustl.edu
[caret-users-boun...@brainvis.wustl.edu] on behalf of Donna Dierker
[do...@brainvis.wustl.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 8:32 AM
To: Caret, SureFit, and SuMS software users
Cc: Tang, Yiyuan
Subject: Re: [caret-users] projecting functional MRI to gii surfaces

First, I want to point out that there is a CIFTI matlab toolkit, I think, but I
know very little about it (or matlab in general).  What I do know:

* The freesurfer_to_fs_LR pipeline probably doesn't generate CIFTI output.  But
the forthcoming Human Connectome Project (HCP) pipeline does.
* Questions about the CIFTI matlab toolkit might better be posed to the CIFTI
forum on nitrc.org (http://www.nitrc.org/forum/?group_id=454).

Using the caret5/caret_command tools, it is possible to convert the
metric/func.gii files to ASCII, e.g.:

caret_command -file-convert -format-convert ASCII my_fmri.metric

… or:

caret_command -file-convert -format-convert ASCII my_fmri.func.gii

As for the coordinates, since you have the individual midthickness surfaces on
164k mesh, you can those for the unprojection command.  If you really want a
grid, then it is a border file you will get out of caret:

http://brainvis.wustl.edu/CaretHelpAccount/caret5_help/file_formats/file_formats.html#borderFile

Here is the Alex Cohen paper:

This is not a trivial task. ;-)