I was able to open the spec file you uploaded with no problem.  There are no
volume files and not that many surface files, so I doubt memory is an issue.

I don't know why it is hanging on win7, 64bit caret 5.6*.

Attached is an even tinier spec using a smaller subset of the same files
(single coord & topo).  Try putting in the same directory as those files and
see if the smaller subset loads.
BeginHeader
Caret-Version 5.601
category ATLAS
date Wed Sep 17 12:42:26 2008
encoding ASCII
space 711-2C
species Human
structure left
subject PALS-B12
EndHeader

CLOSEDtopo_file Human.sphere_6.LEFT_HEM.73730.topo
FIDUCIALcoord_file Human.PALS_B12.LEFT_AVG_B1-12.FIDUCIAL.clean.align.73730.coord