From:  <caret-users-boun...@brainvis.wustl.edu> on behalf of "Harwell, John"
<jharw...@wustl.edu>
Date:  Friday, October 20, 2017 at 2:36 PM
To:  "Caret, SureFit, and SuMS software users"
<caret-users@brainvis.wustl.edu>
Subject:  Re: [caret-users] info in the deformation maps

Hello,

You are correct, it is not an affine matrix.   A description of the file¹s
content is available at
http://brainvis.wustl.edu/CaretHelpAccount/caret5_help/file_formats/file_for
mats.html#deformationMapFile.

Essentially, the deformation map file defines a resampling of one surface
triangular mesh to another.  For each vertex in the target surface, it
identifies the corresponding location in the source surface using
barycentric coordinates.  A barycentric coordinate contains three vertex
indices that form a triangle and the weights define the location within the
triangle.

John H