Also Connectome Workbench has some more advanced methods of quantifying
isotropic and anisotropic registration induced distortion.

Peace,

Matt.

From:  <caret-users-boun...@brainvis.wustl.edu> on behalf of Timothy Coalson
<tsc...@mst.edu>
Date:  Friday, October 20, 2017 at 5:59 PM
To:  "Caret, SureFit, and SuMS software users"
<caret-users@brainvis.wustl.edu>
Cc:  David Van Essen <vanes...@wustl.edu>
Subject:  Re: [caret-users] info in the deformation maps

Deformation maps are inherently designed for the purpose of going from one
topology (number of triangles and their layout) to a different one, so they
are a tricky thing to try to compare vertexwise.  They also don't really
encode warpfield deformations (and even using them to reconstruct as much as
possible gives you only half the story).  This is actually another reason
why we chose not to use them in workbench.

If you want to see the amount of deformation that happened to the sphere
during registration, what you need are the original and registered spheres -
these will always be on the same mesh, so they can be compared directly via
things like wb_command -surface-distortion.

However, I am curious about your interest in surface distortion, so some
explanation is in order, and here is where things get mind-bending (or more
properly, where they don't, as I will explain).  Surface registration and
resampling does not cause any change in the shape of an individual's brain.
It is not an anatomical registration, unlike volume-based registration: it
does not align anatomical coordinates.  What it actually does, is take the
original coordinates of the subject's cortex, and represent them with a
different set of triangles - the places where the new surface intersects the
subject's voxels are unchanged, it just has different triangle and vertex
numbers in each location than it used to (and generally a different total
count of vertices/triangles).

To come at it from a different angle, surface registration is about finding
corresponding locations on brains with different shapes - it doesn't change
the shapes in the process, it just finds where, for instance, foveal V1 is
in each subject, and stores that information for later.  When surfaces and
data are then resampled, foveal V1 is now vertex #2856 in every subject
(whereas previously it was on a different vertex number per subject) - but,
in every subject, the coordinates of that vertex is different, corresponding
to where the original surface said foveal V1 was located.

So, what does surface registration distortion actually represent?  It is, in
fact, the change in sampling density of that patch of the surface:  If part
of the subject's sphere gets expanded during registration, then that patch
will have a lot of small triangles within it in the resampled surface.  If
it gets elongated on the sphere, then on the resampled surface it will have
skinny (obtuse) triangles on the resampled surface.  This is one of the main
reasons that we try to control distortion in registration (another is that
it is also a good proxy for overfitting).

If what you are after is distortion of anatomical coordinates, then you
should only be looking at the volume registration.  While you could look at
the changes that happen to the coordinates when you average different
subject's surfaces together, but we don't recommend using group average
surfaces for much more than visualization (when doing surface-based
processing on them, such as gradients, we generally supply a secondary file
in order to do some correction for the effects of averaging the
coordinates).

Of course, if you aren't trying to look at anatomical changes from
registration, then surface distortion could be exactly what you want.

Tim

>>> Tony