Hi Tony et al.

John’s explanation regarding deformation map files is correct.  Here, I’m
drawing to your attention the fact that Connectome Workbench (and wb_command)
provides improved methods for mapping from one surface mesh that has been
registered to another (see below).  Depending on your use case scenario, you
(and others) may decide to stick with Caret and its deformation maps (even
though Caret is no longer under active development). Or you may find it
advantageous to switch to wb_command for future analyses, as it has become more
 powerful and flexible, and is still under active development
(https://www.humanconnectome.org/software/connectome-workbench).

wb_command -label-resample
wb_command -metric-resample
  <current-sphere> - a sphere surface with the mesh that the metric is
         currently on
      <new-sphere> - a sphere surface that is in register with <current-sphere>
         and has the desired output mesh
      <method> - the method name
The <method> argument must be one of the following:
      ADAP_BARY_AREA
      BARYCENTRIC
as explained in the command-line usage instructions