But it's not clear to me how they are actually used, or if there is in
fact a way to bypass MFA on a per-service basis.
Bypass rules cannot be done per service now. Certainly something that can be
added in a follow-up minor release perhaps. Some examples in the docs describe
typical use cases, but nothing that can be done per service, if you have
enabled MFA globally.

 I can't find any examples
or relevant-seeming properties in the documentation.
Ouch. Yeah this is missing from the docs. I’ll take care of it shortly.

CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas
CAS documentation website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
CAS project website: https://github.com/apereo/cas