Changing the cas.log.level property to debug in etc/cas/config/log4j2.xml
did not provide any additional information that was helpful.  I have
attached a copy of part of the cas.log file with debug enabled.
Thanks Dave.  Any other ideas?

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 8:58:04 AM UTC-5, David Curry wrote:

> I did have one issue where the warn/error-level messages in the logs were
> more confusing than helpful, but setting the global log level to "debug"
> gave me enough additional insight to figure it out.
>
> Line 11 or so in *etc/cas/config/log4j2.xml*:
>
> <Property name="cas.log.level" >debug</Property>
>

> Might help... can't hurt... good luck.
>
> --Dave
>
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM, crdaudt <crd...@taylor.edu <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
>> I updated from the repo.  My guess is that I missed something in doing
>> so, but I have not been able to figure out what I missed.  Thanks Dave.
>>
>> On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 11:29:24 AM UTC-5, David Curry wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a thought...
>>>
>>> When you went from 5.1.4 to 5.2.0, did you update the Maven overlay
>>> template from GitHub and then re-apply your local changes, or did you just
>>> update ${cas.version}?
>>>
>>> In my (limited) experience, just updating the version doesn't always
>>> work, and it's better to update from the repo every time a new version
>>> comes out.
>>>
>>> --Dave

>>> --
>> - Website: https://apereo.github.io/cas
>> - Gitter Chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas
>> - List Guidelines: https://goo.gl/1VRrw7
>> - Contributions: https://goo.gl/mh7qDG
>> ---
>> email to cas-user+u...@apereo.org <javascript:>.
>> https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/5374cf0a-d310-40a7-b4c1-ac0d2627c8da%40apereo.org
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/5374cf0a-d310-40a7-b4c1-ac0d2627c8da%40apereo.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/2c5369d2-8c1e-45c9-83fc-21e949422beb%40apereo.org.
2017-12-14 11:00:44,620 INFO
[org.apereo.cas.configuration.config.CasCoreBootstrapStandaloneConfiguration] -
<Configuration files found at [/etc/cas/config] are
[[/etc/cas/config/application.yml, /etc/cas/config/cas.properties]]>
2017-12-14 11:00:44,690 INFO
[org.apereo.cas.configuration.config.CasCoreBootstrapStandaloneConfiguration] -
<Found and loaded [43] setting(s) from [/etc/cas/config]>
2017-12-14 11:00:44,806 INFO
[org.apereo.cas.web.CasWebApplicationServletInitializer] - <The following
profiles are active: standalone>
2017-12-14 11:00:50,700 WARN
[org.apereo.cas.config.CasCoreTicketsConfiguration] - <Runtime memory is used
as the persistence storage for retrieving and managing tickets. Tickets that
are issued during runtime will be LOST upon container restarts. This MAY impact
SSO functionality.>
2017-12-14 11:00:50,707 INFO [org.apereo.cas.configuration.support.Beans] -
<Ticket registry encryption/signing is turned off. This MAY NOT be safe in a
clustered production environment. Consider using other choices to handle
encryption, signing and verification of ticket registry tickets, and verify the
chosen ticket registry does support this behavior.>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,323 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.config.CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Configuring
authentication execution plan [CasCoreAuthenticationHandlersConfiguration]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,332 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.config.CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Configuring
authentication execution plan [CasCoreAuthenticationHandlersConfiguration]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,369 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.DefaultAuthenticationEventExecutionPlan] -
<Registering handler [HttpBasedServiceCredentialsAuthenticationHandler]
principal resolver
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.principal.resolvers.ProxyingPrincipalResolver@17c2708c[]]
 into the execution plan>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,377 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.config.CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Configuring
authentication execution plan [CasCoreAuthenticationMetadataConfiguration]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,394 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.DefaultAuthenticationEventExecutionPlan] -
<Registering metadata populator
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.metadata.SuccessfulHandlerMetaDataPopulator@964e555[order=-2147483648]]
 into the execution plan>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,411 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.DefaultAuthenticationEventExecutionPlan] -
<Registering metadata populator
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.metadata.RememberMeAuthenticationMetaDataPopulator@489a500b[order=-2147483648]]
 into the execution plan>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,426 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.DefaultAuthenticationEventExecutionPlan] -
<Registering metadata populator
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.metadata.AuthenticationCredentialTypeMetaDataPopulator@7955d570[order=-2147483648]]
 into the execution plan>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,427 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.config.CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Configuring
authentication execution plan [LdapAuthenticationConfiguration]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,435 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.CoreAuthenticationUtils] - <Mapped principal
attribute name [sAMAccountName]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,436 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.CoreAuthenticationUtils] - <Mapped principal
attribute name [displayName]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,436 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.CoreAuthenticationUtils] - <Mapped principal
attribute name [mail]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,436 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.CoreAuthenticationUtils] - <Mapped principal
attribute name [memberOf]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,437 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.CoreAuthenticationUtils] - <Mapped principal
attribute name [sAMAccountName] to [UDC_IDENTIFIER]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,439 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.config.LdapAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Created and mapped
principal attributes [{mail=[mail], sAMAccountName=[sAMAccountName,
UDC_IDENTIFIER], displayName=[displayName], memberOf=[memberOf]}] for
[ldaps://mydomaincontroller.mysubdomain.myuniversity.edu:636/]...>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,441 DEBUG
[org.apereo.cas.config.LdapAuthenticationConfiguration] - <Creating LDAP
authenticator for
[ldaps://mydomaincontroller.mysubdomain.myuniversity.edu:636/] and baseDn
[dc=mydc,dc=myuniversity,dc=edu]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,468 DEBUG [org.apereo.cas.util.LdapUtils] - <Creating
authenticated authenticator for
[ldaps://mydomaincontroller.mysubdomain.myuniversity.edu:636/]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,469 DEBUG [org.apereo.cas.util.LdapUtils] - <Creating LDAP
connection factory for
[ldaps://mydomaincontroller.mysubdomain.myuniversity.edu:636/]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,470 DEBUG [org.apereo.cas.util.LdapUtils] - <Creating LDAP
connection configuration for
[ldaps://mydomaincontroller.mysubdomain.myuniversity.edu:636/]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,473 DEBUG [org.apereo.cas.util.LdapUtils] - <Transformed
LDAP urls from [ldaps://mydomaincontroller.mysubdomain.myuniversity.edu:636/]
to [ldaps://mydomaincontroller.mysubdomain.myuniversity.edu:636/]>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,480 WARN
[...]
Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'casAuthenticationManager'
parameter 2; nested exception is
with name 'authenticationEventExecutionPlan' defined in class path resource
[org/apereo/cas/config/CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration.class]: Bean
instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.AuthenticationEventExecutionPlan]: Factory
method 'authenticationEventExecutionPlan' threw exception; nested exception is
with name 'ldapAuthenticationHandlers' defined in class path resource
[org/apereo/cas/config/LdapAuthenticationConfiguration.class]: Bean
instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate
[java.util.Collection]: Factory method 'ldapAuthenticationHandlers' threw
exception; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.ldaptive.ConnectionConfig.setConnectTimeout(Ljava/time/Duration;)V>
2017-12-14 11:00:56,483 WARN
[com.ryantenney.metrics.spring.config.annotation.MetricsConfigurerAdapter] -
<Problem stopping reporter>
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationNotAllowedException: Error
creating bean with name 'casMetricsConfiguration': Singleton bean creation not
allowed while singletons of this factory are in destruction (Do not request a
bean from a BeanFactory in a destroy method implementation!)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:216)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:302)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:197)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(ConstructorResolver.java:372)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1173)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1067)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:513)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:483)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$2.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:345)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.cloud.context.scope.GenericScope$BeanLifecycleWrapper.getBean(GenericScope.java:359)
 ~[spring-cloud-context-1.2.4.RELEASE.jar:1.2.4.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.cloud.context.scope.GenericScope.get(GenericScope.java:176)
~[spring-cloud-context-1.2.4.RELEASE.jar:1.2.4.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:340)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:197)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.aop.target.SimpleBeanTargetSource.getTarget(SimpleBeanTargetSource.java:35)
 ~[spring-aop-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.getTarget(CglibAopProxy.java:705)
 ~[spring-aop-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(CglibAopProxy.java:655)
 ~[spring-aop-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
com.codahale.metrics.MetricRegistry$$EnhancerBySpringCGLIB$$39406b44.removeListener(<generated>)
 ~[metrics-core-3.2.5.jar:3.2.5]
        at com.codahale.metrics.JmxReporter.stop(JmxReporter.java:727)
~[metrics-core-3.2.5.jar:3.2.5]
        at com.codahale.metrics.JmxReporter.close(JmxReporter.java:736)
~[metrics-core-3.2.5.jar:3.2.5]
        at
com.ryantenney.metrics.spring.config.annotation.MetricsConfigurerAdapter.destroy(MetricsConfigurerAdapter.java:77)
 ~[metrics-spring-3.1.3.jar:?]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DisposableBeanAdapter.destroy(DisposableBeanAdapter.java:272)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.destroyBean(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:578)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.destroySingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:554)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.destroySingleton(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:961)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.destroySingletons(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:523)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.destroySingletons(FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.java:230)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.destroySingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:968)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.destroyBeans(AbstractApplicationContext.java:1030)
 ~[spring-context-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:556)
 ~[spring-context-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.boot.context.embedded.EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.refresh(EmbeddedWebApplicationContext.java:122)
 ~[spring-boot-1.5.8.RELEASE.jar:1.5.8.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refresh(SpringApplication.java:693)
~[spring-boot-1.5.8.RELEASE.jar:1.5.8.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refreshContext(SpringApplication.java:360)
 ~[spring-boot-1.5.8.RELEASE.jar:1.5.8.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.run(SpringApplication.java:303)
~[spring-boot-1.5.8.RELEASE.jar:1.5.8.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.boot.web.support.SpringBootServletInitializer.run(SpringBootServletInitializer.java:154)
 ~[spring-boot-1.5.8.RELEASE.jar:1.5.8.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.boot.web.support.SpringBootServletInitializer.createRootApplicationContext(SpringBootServletInitializer.java:134)
 ~[spring-boot-1.5.8.RELEASE.jar:1.5.8.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.boot.web.support.SpringBootServletInitializer.onStartup(SpringBootServletInitializer.java:87)
 ~[spring-boot-1.5.8.RELEASE.jar:1.5.8.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.web.SpringServletContainerInitializer.onStartup(SpringServletContainerInitializer.java:169)
 ~[spring-web-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5196)
 ~[catalina.jar:8.5.14]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
~[catalina.jar:8.5.14]
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:752)
~[catalina.jar:8.5.14]
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:728)
~[catalina.jar:8.5.14]
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:734)
~[catalina.jar:8.5.14]
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:952)
~[catalina.jar:8.5.14]
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1823)
~[catalina.jar:8.5.14]
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
~[?:1.8.0_131]
~[?:1.8.0_131]
        at
~[?:1.8.0_131]
        at
~[?:1.8.0_131]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_131]
2017-12-14 11:00:56,524 ERROR [org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication] -
[...]
org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$AutowiredFieldElement.inject(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:588)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.InjectionMetadata.inject(InjectionMetadata.java:88)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.postProcessPropertyValues(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:366)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1264)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:553)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:483)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:306)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:230)
[...]
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:761)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:867)
 ~[spring-context-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:543)
[...]
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException:
Error creating bean with name 'defaultAuthenticationSystemSupport' defined in
[...]
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.createArgumentArray(ConstructorResolver.java:749)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(ConstructorResolver.java:467)
[...]
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:202)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.config.DependencyDescriptor.resolveCandidate(DependencyDescriptor.java:208)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.doResolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:1138)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.resolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:1066)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$AutowiredFieldElement.inject(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:585)
 ~[spring-beans-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        ... 41 more