Unlike David, I am still using the JSON service registry and am struggling
with the issue.
Here is something I found that might be a clue as to what is happening:

As distributed, cas will include a file named HTTPSandIMAPS-10000001.json
in /WEB-INF/classes/services that will contain the value
"^(https|imaps)://.*" for the serviceId.
Of course, when I do a maven build, I can either include a modified copy of
the file in my maven src directory as a resource to be included, or I can
exclude the file altogether in my pom.xml.

However, I find that there is another copy of HTTPSandIMAPS-10000001.json
embedded in the war file /WEB-INF/lib/cas-server-webapp-tomcat-5.2.2.war.
In the maven target directory, this file is located at
target/war/work/org.apereo.cas/cas-server-webapp-tomcat/WEB-INF/classes/services/HTTPSandIMAPS-10000001.json,

and this file also contains the default value for the serviceId field.

I do not understand maven well, so do not really know how to deal with
this.  The bottom line is that I do not wish to
authorize"^(https|imaps)://.*" as a registered service provider.  I would
prefer not to have to remove or change the HTTPSandIMAPS-10000001.json in
/etc/cas/config/services file every time I restart tomcat.

How do I proceed?  Ideas anyone?