Chris,

I ran into the same problem. I added json files to /etc/cas/services but
CAS was only reading those in the classpath/services directory.
I found that my problem was in my cas.properties:

Incorrect:

cas.serviceRegistry.*config*.location:   file:/etc/cas/services
Correct:
cas.serviceRegistry.*json*.location:     file:/etc/cas/services