> hi john,
>
> regarding the recent NRAO memo on word boundry detection
> (in your link below):
>
> i think the early ATA engineers tested prototype hardware
> that didn't use 8/10 encoding in high speed serial links.
> (since the data is noise like, one shouldn't need two
> extra bits to insure sufficient transitions and detect word
> boundries), but they encountered problems, and abandoned them
> in favor of 8/10 encoding.

Thanks for the info.  I'll pass it along.

> philosophically, i prefer industry standards,
> like 8/10 encoding.  one can transmit test patterns or any
> data one wants; it's more flexible and upgradable,
> and doesn't cost much more - it's sometimes cheaper
> to stick with industry standards, especially if one
> includes NRE costs.  and SERDES's have tricky stuff inside - many
> of them don't gaurantee specs if you don't 8/10 encode.

It's a question of trying to do the job with as little hardware as
possible at the digitizer, for reasons of power consumption, cost, and
RFI, when it's done on a large scale.

For most things, I agree with you that the industry standard encodings are
better.