Hi Tom,

In my earlier life I designed some of the biggest fiber optic networks in the world, before going into radio astronomy.

In your case, fibers are really cheap, digging costs a lot more. Cable cost is insignificant.

For those lenghts I would use a 48 or 98- single mode fiber cable, forget the switches if they are not essential. Use the 10Gbase-LR or something similar, we use ZR for 50 kilometers. My knowledge might be outdated, anyway get the cable with as many fibers you can get, light armoring is usually needed.

All the wavelength-division-multiplexing schemes are not cost-effective at that range, start to be at 1000 miles distance.

Sorry for the short answer, will be glad to help privately without bothering other people on the list.

Cheers,
Jouko

"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do
more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do
something else. The trick is to do something else."