Alan reminded me I should have given the link to the supplier:

http://www.foxcom.com/index.aspx?id=2510

On 18 Dec 2009, at 12:53 AM, Tom Kuiper wrote:

John Ford wrote:
We've decided (Maybe prematurely?) that wide-band analog links are not the way to go, for single-dish, at least. The stability we need was not there the last time I looked, when you factor in the twisting of the fibers, the diurnal temperature variations, etc. Can you give me more info on these
wideband analog links?  It would be much easier for us if they really
worked well at these bandwidths of ~10 GHz.

Glenn is in Green Bank, I believe, but when he sees this thread he may have something to says about stability concerns at DSS-28 due to the fibers from receiver at the base of the dish and the DSP electronics in the antenna pedestal.
In any case, I agree with Jouko that you should bury as many fibers as you have money for. The cost of the WDM systems far overshadows the cost of fiber at 500 meters. If you were trying to reuse existing infrastructure,
it would be a different story.

We don't even have to bury the fiber bundle. It just gets strung alongside all the other cables that are already there.

Cheers

Tom

Justin Jonas
j.jo...@ru.ac.za