Hi Dan,

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Dan Werthimer wrote:

You can use fiber optic cables on the iBob, Roach and Bee2 boards. There are several vendors that make CX4 optical fiber cables; these cables house copper to optical transceivers in the connector body. Matt Dexter has tested several vendors - we use optical CX4 cables at BWRC and the Allen Telescope Array. They cost more than copper cables (eg: ~$300 from Zarlink),
but they can go long distances.

Of course you are right, but why go to special solutions when the normal ones are easy.

If you read the standards, you notice that most of them have the same signalling as the copper CX4. Last time I checked, it was three out of four. Only a copper footpad needs to be added to the board.

...well, this is what we buit Internet for, around 1987-1992...
To distribute ideas and have quick and not always totally polite feedback.
So far it's been a success.

Cheers,
Jouko