What situations could cause est_brd_clk() to give the wrong answer?

I have two ROACH1s and a Valon 5007.  Every time we check the Valon it puts out the required clock frequency, 1020 MHz, at about +7 dBm.

When I initialize the ROACHs (roach1, roach2) from an ipython command line, est_brd_clk() in the __init__() routine finds the expected system clock of 255 MHz.  When the two ROACHs are initialized as part of a server initialization, the first ROACH initialized passes the system clock test and the second fails. I've reversed the order of initialization so it's not a specific ROACH that passes or fails.  Then at the end of the server initialization, I check both system clocks and they are then both wrong. Then, if I shut down the server and re-initialize the ROACHs, they both have the right system clock.

If no one has an explanation, perhaps there might be some suggestions for what I should try next.

Thanks and warm regards,

Tom