Hey everyone

Thank you so much for everyone's input and help.

After following everyone's advice, I got it working my making use of these
steps (for future use):

System: Ubuntu 18.04 server
Matlab 2012B

Steps:

#To setup the dummy interface

1. sudo modprobe dummy

#To see if the dummy interface is loaded

2. sudo lsmod | grep dummy

#Add the link eth0 to the dummy interface

3. sudo ip link add eth0 type dummy

#to make sure the link exists

4. ip link show eth0

#Assign MAC address to eth0

5. sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether 0c:c4:7a:9a:ca:e6

#assign IP address to eth0

6. sudo ip address change dev eth0 10.0.0.1

#Link up to eth0

7. sudo ip link set dev eth0 up

#cjeck that the link is up

8. ifconfig