From: Jonathon Kocz <jxk...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 11:42 AM
To: casper@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [casper] FW: casperfpga screenshots

Hi Jeff,

I'd have to check up on the write_int/_uint functionality, but in terms of
versions, what I think might be happening is:

If you follow the readthedocs instructions exactly, it's installing the
required packages (requirements.txt) and then installing the version of
casperfpga registered with pip (which is not up to date with the casperfpga
source, but should be stable).

If you want to install from the source you downloaded, you could "pip install
." from the casperfpga directory after installing the requirements (instead of
"pip install casperfpga"), and that should build and install from the local
repo.

Cheers,
Jonathon

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 08:14, 'Kobesky, Jeffrey CIV USN NRL (5555) Washington DC
(USA)' via casper@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:casper@lists.berkeley.edu>
<casper@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:casper@lists.berkeley.edu>> wrote:
Hello CASPER,

I’ve followed the casperfpga install directions found here using pip:
https://casper-toolflow.readthedocs.io/projects/casperfpga/en/latest/How-to-install-casperfpga.html

Bewildering to me, my pip-installed casperfpga does not match my cloned
casperfpga (from casper-astro repo).  See “try” statement in attachments, they
are different.  Does anyone know how that could happen, how did my struct.pack
statement get commented out during the pip install?  Does anyone recognize the
comment “# Breaking backwards compatibility” in the “pip_installed” attachment?

Note I came across this because I can’t seem to write a 32 bit unsigned integer
to the yellow block software register using “write_int”.  The max number I can
write without getting error is 2^31 – 1, which seems to suggest my number entry
is being interpreted as a signed integer.  Looking at the “write_int” code, it
seems the (‘>i’ if integer < 0 else ‘>I’, integer) argument should sort that
out, but for some reason it’s commented out in the
/usr/…/dist-packages/casperfpga.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I don’t understand how the installed source
code could be different than the cloned source code.  Maybe something about pip
or git that I don’t understand?

Thanks again – Jeff

Jeffrey Kobesky
Electronics Engineer, Naval Research Laboratory
O: (202) 404-7109     M: (443) 243-1554
OS:  Pop!_OS 18.04 LTS (derived from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)
Vivado 19.1.1    MATLAB 2018a    mlib_devel branch:  master
Python 2.7 for casperfpga and 3.6 running in (casper_venv) for toolflow
Devices:  Red Pitaya, SKARAB

casper+unsubscr...@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:casper+unsubscr...@lists.berkeley.edu>.
https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/1514ac6a81b44ef8ad693e5fc6f62bd8%40nrl.navy.mil<https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/1514ac6a81b44ef8ad693e5fc6f62bd8%40nrl.navy.mil?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
casper+unsubscr...@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:casper+unsubscr...@lists.berkeley.edu>.
https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/CAPU71P_64NSnZoOxsBy-Dr%3DBQYYAvdP8WbFSwST_ZHNJGewgxQ%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/CAPU71P_64NSnZoOxsBy-Dr%3DBQYYAvdP8WbFSwST_ZHNJGewgxQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.