You must have been talking to the wrong developers.

Facebook open-sourced Cassandra in early 2008.  In August 2008 they
wrote about this publically, at
http://www.new.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=24413138919 where they
state:
"First deployment of Cassandra system within Facebook was for the
Inbox search system. The system currently stores TB’s of indexes
across a cluster of 600+ cores and 120+ TB of disk space. Performance
of the system has been well within our SLA requirements and more
applications are in the pipeline to use the Cassandra system as their
storage engine."

Although they are no longer actively involved in the open source
project, the original developers from Facebook are still actively
developing Cassandra and on rare occasions give input to the open
source project.

Michael