Wednesday, February 25, 2009




Walter B. Hoye II says “I Am Still Free”

http://www.prolifeunity.com/index.php/site/article/walter_b_hoye_ii_says_i_am_still_free
 


[]


My Dear Friends:

Today I am still free.

Tomorrow I may not be.

It’s around 8:30 A.M. (PST) on Tuesday, February 
24th, 2009 and the four (4) of us are standing on 
the corner of Webster Street and 3rd Street in 
Oakland, California near Jack London Square praying.

I am praying with two African-American women (a 
ninety (90) year old and an eighty-four (84) year 
old) and a dear Catholic sister who is a very 
good friend of mine.  We are asking God to use us 
to reach the men and women going into the 
abortion clinic, right across the street, with 
the love of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour.

We agree that the women will stand across the 
street with literature sharing alternatives to 
abortion while I stand on the same side of the 
street near the door of the abortion clinic with 
the same literature and a sign that says “God 
loves you and your baby.  Let us help you.”

As we take our positions, I am fully aware that 
this may be my last opportunity to do all I can to save my people.

This morning may be the last morning I will have 
a chance to stop the shedding of innocent blood 
in the African-American community.

This hour may be the last hour available to me to 
reach out to the men and women with child considering pre-natal murder.

I am in this position because on Martin Luther 
King, Jr.’s birthday, Tuesday, January 15th, 
2008, the Oakland City Council passed a law that 
strips away my 1st Amendment rights.  What I was 
arrested, tried and convicted for is not 
arrestable, triable and/or convictible at one 
hundred and one (101) feet away from the entrance of an abortion clinic.

Starting at one hundred (100) feet my 1st 
Amendment right that assures my freedom of speech 
is taken away.  “Harassment” is defined as 
“counseling” and “counseling” is defined as 
having a conversation, displaying a sign and/or handing out literature.

This is an unjust law that does not apply to 
doctors, nurses, employees and volunteers who 
have the consent of the abortion clinic.

Since my viewpoint on the subject of infanticide 
(i.e., I believe life begins at conception) is 
different than those who endorsed this unjust 
law, I do not have the consent of the abortion 
clinic to hold a sign, engage in conversation and 
hand out literature to those seeking to terminate the life of their child.

In other words, I am not a part of the “protected 
class” of United States citizenry as defined by the Oakland City Council.

According to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s, Tuesday, 
April 16th, 1963, “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” …

“An unjust law is a code that a numerical or 
power majority group compels a minority group to 
obey but does not make binding on itself. This is 
difference made legal. By the same token, a just 
law is a code that a majority compels a minority 
to follow and that it is willing to follow 
itself. This is sameness made legal.”

This law passed by the Oakland City Council is 
most assuredly both a violation of my 1st Amendment rights and an unjust law.

At around 9:30 A.M. the one (1) Oakland Police 
Department (OPD) Car and one (1) Oakland Police 
Department Officer arrived at the abortion 
clinic.  He took a few minutes to talk with those 
inside the abortion clinic before coming back outside to talk with me.

Fortunately, my Life Legal Defense Foundation 
(LLDF) Lawyer was across the street watching me 
stand on a public sidewalk, hold both a sign and 
literature and attempt to gain consent to talk 
closer than eight (8) feet to those walking into the abortion clinic.

As I identified myself to the first Police 
Officer a second OPD Officer drove up and joined 
our conversation.  After sharing with the 
Officers that I was standing on a public 
sidewalk, reaching out to the men and women 
considering infanticide, both officers went into 
the clinic to talk more with the “protected 
class” of United States citizenry (i.e., doctors, 
nurses, employees and volunteers who have the consent of the abortion clinic).

Eventually, both OPD Officers joined my lawyer 
and I on the sidewalk and after reviewing a 
printed copy of form CR-165 “Notice of 
Termination of Protective Order in Criminal 
Proceedings (CLETS).” I was warned that a brand 
new “Stay Away From This Abortion Clinic Order” 
was being drafted for me even as I was listening to the Officer speak.

The OPD Officers also made me aware that the 
Officers themselves can give me a “Stay Away From 
This Abortion Clinic Order” that I will have to obey or go to jail.

I graciously thanked the Officers for their 
candor, shook hands with each of them and watched 
one of the Officers drive away.  The other 
Officer remained until I left which was within a 
few minutes as I soon noticed that it was about 10:00 A.M.

Today I am still free.

Tomorrow I may not be.

I believe this is an unjust law.

I believe one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.

Today I am still free.

Tomorrow I may not be.

I will continue to exercise my 1st Amendment 
rights as I reach out to the men and women 
seeking to brutally terminate the life of the 
child growing in the womb of his or her mother.

Today I am still free.

Tomorrow I may not be.

May God bless you all.

|---
Media Liason
Issues4Life Foundation
Website: <http://www.issues4life.org>http://www.issues4life.org
Blog: 
<http://issues4lifefoundation.wordpress.com>http://issues4lifefoundation.wordpress.com


  <*}}}>< 
<http://www.halfthekingdom.org/on+allposters+today.html>on 
AllPosters today <*}}}><<*}}}>< 
<http://astore.amazon.com/halthekin-20>Catholic on Amazon <*}}}><
+
<*}}}>< <http://www.holypostage.com/>Holy Postage <*}}}><
<*}}}><<http://www.halfthekingdom.org/>Half the 
<http://www.halfthekingdom.org/>Kingdom!<*}}}><

+ "The fruit of abortion is nuclear war" - Bl. Mother Teresa +

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
Please note that I do not send or open attachments sent to this list. 

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Catholics on Fire" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Catholics-on-Fire

May the blessing of Jesus and our Blessed Mother be with you
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to