When Drew called me about the rare Yellow-throated Warbler, and I sent out the text message from my phone, I had to be concise but clear. "Fuertes" and "Renwick" are the same number of characters, but "Renwick" is, I think, a bit less ambiguous. "Renwick" refers to a couple streets in a neighborhood nearby, while I think there are several places named for Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Wasn't the pond- and feeder-viewing area inside the old Lab of O called the Fuertes Observatory? Isn't the auditorium at the current Lab which displays so many of his paintings also named for Fuertes? There are a couple of bronze plaques by the Swan Pond, one of which honors Fuertes, and the other talks about swans. Fuertes was a great artist, so I associate his name with his wonderful paintings and drawings more than with those woods. I see no disrespect in that. Official name or no, many people do and will call it the Renwick Sanctuary, including users of the new birding guide which the club just published (see p.21).
--Dave Nutter