In case there are species of birds within the Ithaca Christmas Bird Count which we miss on count day (1 January 2013), we can add them to our total if we find them in the 3 days prior to or the 3 days subsequent to count day. That started today. Please report any unusual birds starting today so that birders can try to find them on count day, and if that doesn't work, they at least can be count week birds.

Yesterday - NOT count week -  I saw 2 female Black Scoters and a male White-winged Scoter off Stewart Park, in addition to other waterfowl. They were east of the red lighthouse.

At dawn this morning I went to the southwest corner of the lake wondering what I could ID before the gunning started. With today's clouds and snowfall, the answer is nothing. The first fusillade was at 7:09am. There were two parties along the lakeshore at Treman and a guy out on the lake lying on a very low flotation device, each with flocks of snow-covered decoys, and a small boat with a couple guys near the docks further north than I was. I also heard shots from the east and northeast. I stayed for an hour. Birding was not easy.

Birds I found today for count week included:

Canada Goose
American Black Duck
Mallard
Redhead - 1 male, but this individual will not be available on count day
Ring-Necked Duck - 2 males
Greater Scaup - 1 male
Bufflehead - 1 female
Hooded Merganser - wounded bird may remain in the area
Common Merganser - wounded bird may remain in the area
Ruddy Duck - 1 male, several females
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT - 1 swimming and diving to north. Yesterday I saw 4 on & near the red lighthouse breakwater
American Coot
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
BELTED KINGFISHER
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Carolina Wren
American Tree Sparrow
House Sparrow

Next I went briefly to Stewart Park. I was glad to see more birds, but I didn't add any species and the falling snow made visibility limited.

--Dave Nutter