Bob,

I suspect the cool weather has a lot to do with it. I believe that we are
having a significantly cooler-than-normal spring, due to the Jet Stream being
slightly farther south or much broader than usual. This, as I understand it, is
directly correlated to the reduction in sea ice in the arctic which in turn
creates a weakened pressure differential north of the Jet Stream, allowing the
cold arctic air to spill much farther south than normal.

The following quote of text is from:
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2012/06/arctic-ice-melt-sets-stage-cold-weather:

"A diminished latitudinal pressure gradient is linked to a weakening of the
winds associated with the polar vortex and jet stream. Since the polar vortex
normally retains the cold Arctic air masses up above the Arctic Circle, its
weakening allows the cold air to invade lower latitudes."

More links:

http://climatecrocks.com/2012/06/08/more-evidence-arctic-warming-effect-on-jet-stream-more-extremes/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/mar/25/frozen-spring-arctic-sea-ice-loss

I'm sure there are persons much more familiar with these weather changes, who
can pipe up on this conversation... :-)

Sincerely,
Chris T-H